set-apart heart

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Battle

Happy Sunday! :)

I am sad to say, I am at home, and did not make it to church this morning. The leg and back pain has had me down for over two weeks now. The pain has been pretty bad. Excruciating at times. Part of the time it feels like a muscle spasm that just comes on. Other times it's like an aching cramp in my entire right leg. Part of my right foot still has numbness.Mainly the right side, my heel, and the back of my ankle. I was so determined I was going to go to work on Friday morning. I got up early (the pain is always the worst when I first get up), took pain killer, and went to take a shower... but I couldn't stand up through my whole shower. I knew I couldn't stand up for even a 4 hour shift at work, even though I wanted to sooo badly. I was actually getting pretty discouraged and cried about it this week... I thought for sure I'd be better by now. Then, Mom said something to me the other day that got me thinking. "Spiritual warfare." She was saying how, this could be a spiritual attack. I actually hadn't considered it from that aspect. My friend Samara also reminded me of a very important truth that is easy to forget as I go about my day to day life. "Nothing is purely physical." Meaning, everything in our lives, everyday, is spiritual.

"You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience." ~Pierre Teilhard De Chardin

As Christians, this means that we are in a battle everyday. The Bible tells us!



"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12)

So, though I still have a lot of pain, and I'm tempted to just give in to the flesh and be discouraged, I can't let the enemy win this one. No, sir. Through God's Word, I am putting on my eternal spiritual eyes and choosing to refuse my earthly, physical vision. God is always doing so much more than we can see!

"Whatever troubles are weighing you down are not chains. They are featherweight when compared to the glory yet to come. With a sweep of a prayer and the praise of a child's heart, God can strip away any cobweb." ~Joni Eareckson Tada

 I can't see with my eyes, the battle that is taking place, even in my own heart and mind. But it is a very real battle, and I need to put on my armor! His Word (my sword) is so crucial, because without it, I have nothing with which to fight back against the lies and tactics of the enemy. My shield (faith) is protection. The faith God gives me to put my trust in Him, and know that He has the power. It is not my own strength that I go in, but in HIS might. I am well aware of my own weakness, and I think that is a key realization to come to before I can stand in Christ's strength and power. "Deep inside this armor, the warrior is a child." (from Twila Paris' song)

"Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." (Ephesians 6:10-11)



"Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints." (Ephesians 6:14-18)

God is good. SO good. Always. His goodness has also been on my mind a lot this week as I've been reading God: As He Longs for You to See Him, by Chip Ingram. I'm in the chapter about the goodness of God. I've been thinking about all He has done... all the ways He proclaims His goodness! Although, God is not good because of the things He has done for us, or the blessings He's poured over our lives. He is good because it is His nature. It is who He is! He cannot be anything else! He blesses and lavishes goodness on the world BECAUSE He is good. I LOVED reading Psalm 107 last night. Wow! Just go and read it. :) Meditate on His goodness. I dare ya! God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment